Saturday, August 11, 2012

Books for Needy Children

I could NEVER imagine my life growing up without books around. I love them and I love to read! In fact, Barnes & Noble is MY heaven. I'm a BIG advicate when it comes to kids and reading. Unfortunately, too many children don’t have access to resources that enrich learning and encourage reading. A recent study shows that there is only one age-appropriate book available for every 300 children living in underserved communities in the United States. That’s less than 1% of the number books available to children in middle-income neighborhoods..... This knowledge that I discovered at Soar with Reading made me sad. Fortunately, they, along with PBS and JetBlue, developed a grant program back in 2011 to help address this critical shortage. The program is desgined to provide books directly to children who need them most, giving age-appropriate books to THOUSANDS of children in the US, Central America, and the Caribbean. Knowing what I know now, I want to help in my own way..... Does anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment