Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Californium: First-To-Read Review

Disclaimer: I won a free copy of this book from www.firsttoread.com. This review is also posted on www.goodreads.com

The "Coming of Age" genre focuses on identity. Who you are, who people think you are, and the multiple identities you walk in among your peers, family, and the larger circles around you.  As the novel progresses, we get to see Reece transform from the new kid in school who's trying to find a way to fit in, to a young man who is starting to understand the complexities of life. Written by  R. Dean R. Johnson, CALIFORNIUM had a lot of elements (pun unintended) that should have added up to something good, but in the end, it was a little lackluster. While I was compelled to keep reading because I wanted to see how it all turned out, I never felt truly connected to the characters. In some places, it felt like things were moving too fast, especially the post-DikNixon show climax. Other things, like the frequent calling out to elements or the way that Reece and his friends talked to each other, felt wildly off the mark. I found Treat to be way too forced a character, as if he was supposed to remind us that it was the 80s--a tactic that didn't really work. It honestly felt like this could have taken place in any era after the rise of punk music, so I wish there had been more to make me feel like it taking place in the 80s was important to the feel of the story.

Stunningly mediocre. A perfect 4 on the ph scale. No strong feelings one way or the other. The stereotypical thing you think of when you think of YA fiction.

♥♥♥♥♥
5 hearts: Doesn't particularly light any of my fires; I feel indifferent about this book (x)
C = This book is okay, and I finished it relatively quickly. It didn't blow me away, and something was definitely lacking (characters, plot, dialogue, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment