Thursday, December 20, 2012

First Line Friday: Dec. 14th 2012 (11 more days till Christmas)

Okay okay!
Yeah I know this is NEARLY a whole week late AGAIN! But again I had Wizard of Oz.
That show is done with now however so I'll post at a more pace with FLF.
In keeping with the theme of both the Christmas holiday and Dickens, the nest First Line comes from "The Chimes"

"There are not many people-and as desirable that a story-teller and a story-reader should establish a mutual understanding as soon as possible,I beg it to be noticed that I confine this observation neither to young people nor to little people, but extend it to all conditions of people: little and big, young and old, yet growing up, or already growing down again-there are not, I say, many people who would care to sleep in a church."

Thus starts Dickens'4-part tale based around church-bell chimes at the turn of the New Year. Even though it is among Dickens' lesser known stories and most (including this reader of Dickens) are not familiar with this story's existence, this blogger highly recommends that IF you choose to read A Christmas Carol, you must also read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment